Advanced Character Animation

This blog is in place to document my progress and research for the 'Advanced Character Animation' module at Thames Valley University. My idea is to create a short 30 second animation in the style of 'Creature Comforts', an 'Aardman Animation' classic.

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Hanwell, United Kingdom

Friday, October 06, 2006

Research and Questions

After thinking about the brief for a while I decided on a suitable idea to get started. My idea was to create a short 30sec animation in the style of 'Creature Comforts', an 'Aardman animation' piece.


Copyright Aardman Animations


After purchasing and watching the DVD I felt I had a better grasp for what I was after and what I was attempting. Although Aardman is clearly going to be a point of inspiration I didn't want to blatantly rip it off so with this in mind I will try to create my own unique style. The extras of the DVD were extremely useful and helped me find a starting point for the animation; audio.

The main task with getting audio is to find people who would speak to me in a natural way but at the same time capturing a slight unease along with attempts of political correctness that people give when they know they are being recorded. Hard to explain, but what I was after was audio that you might find when the public are interviewed for radio, possibly about a subject they know little about...

The questions will also be key. I've devised a list of questions that hopefully prove original and topical and also play up to the fact that an animal could be saying things quite contradictory to their enviroment. I was hoping for a good juxtaposition between the audio and the animal acting that would add to the humour.

Some of my questions and ideas:

How do you feel about global warming? - (A penguin on an ice cap)
What do you think of Jamie Oliver? - (Rat going through some bins in a playground)
How do you feel about insects? - (Ant eater afraid of ants)
Have you got any phobias? - (Bird afraid of heights)


The ideas around the questions are scenarios that would be great if they happened but until I finish recording and sit down with the footage I will never know what options are present.

I will record as much as I can this weekend when I visit Birmingham (There is something about the accent that I find appealing).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home